Friday, January 25, 2008

EJ update

EJ in Paris at a Zone conference, awaiting their train to go home to Reims.
Just thought I would give a quick update on EJ, he has now been out for a little over a year and is still loving the mission. Here is the coolest thing of all though. He is serving in the city of Reims, which is very famous for their champagne. It is a beautiful city, but here is the best part. When I was in the 6th grade, back in 1984 (Yikes, I can't believe I admitted to that) my class went on a field trip to the city of Reims. We were living in Belgium at the time as my dad was stationed at S.H.A.P.E. the NATO headquaters in Europe, so it wasn't exactly a far trip to get to France. Anyway. We spent the day picking grapes and then went on a tour of the Champagne factory where we saw the entire process from squishing the grapes, they used a machine not their feet, and then we saw where they store it until it has aged to appropriate taste. At the end of the tour we were even lucky enough to enjoy a tasting of their champagne. (Are you kidding me, we were in the 6th grade). I did not taste any so put your worried minds to rest, but I was only one of 2 from the entire class who did not, the other kid was ourBishop's son. Anyway, EJ now lives right next door to the above mentioned factory, (he assured me he has not partaken either). Pretty cool. Here is the scrapbook page I made of that day, and for those of you scrapbookers, remember this was a very long time ago, I think I have improved, a little.That is me on the top right, man junior high is an awkward stage isn't it, or was it just me?

4 comments:

paulak said...

Cool! What a cutie!!!

Ashlee said...

I want to go to Paris! Sigh.

Your scrapbook page is perfect for 1984! I'm just impressed that you have pictures from your field trip. I don't have anything like that. :0(

Ben Hutchins said...

Awesome... it never ceases to amaze me... all the small interconnected details and events of our lives. Do you remember that my brother Aaron served his mission in Paris? Although he never actually served in the city -Paris.

Our twins were born in Tampa, Florida while I was there for a three month training class (right out of college). 6 years later my parents were called to be Mission President over Tampa, Florida mission. Mission home is only 5 minutes from where Joy and I lived for 6 months (lived in Tampa twice for three months each time).

Ben

Carol said...

Love both of the "children" in your post. As Ben said, it is a small world interconnected in many ways. I'm glad you have those pictures and could share that special, non-drinking memory. Love it.