Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Sunday Passion

As Sunday is a day of rest, my favorite, most relaxing thing to do is cook, bake, and just be in the kitchen. When Tyler is home playing with the kids and I can do my thing uninterrupted, it makes me happy, very happy. So today, with the April snow outside, it was the perfect day to play in the kitchen. I decided to make Gnocchi with a Bolognese Sauce. On Rachel's trip to Italy she brought home an authentic Italian Gnocchi board, I love it and have been waiting for a good day to use it. Gnocchi is Italian potato dumplings, love them. Rachel's, Italian MIL taught her how to make them on their last trip there, so she shared the recipe with the family. Now a good dinner must be followed by yummy, way too many calorie desserts, so I also made a chocolate layered cake with chocolate, chocolate chip frosting. (I know don't judge me, I ran 6 miles yesterday, and "No Sweets May" is fast approaching; I am allowed).
Now that I have described the fun before dinner, here is what happened at dinner. As I have previously posted here, my children are on the extreme side of picky when it comes to eating which I personally think is a cruel trick, but, whatever, I will deal. So we sat down to dinner and both Reagan and Elise took one bite and were not down with Gnocchi. Tyler, Mollie and I loved it, but those two said no way. In fact it was more of "May I be excused, gag, gag, gag!" So I told them, I have made dinner, I am done cooking, if they want something they are on their own. Thrilled at this freedom, they took off to make dinner. Again, I think it is a cruel trick for me to have picky eaters. So here they are making their own dinner, it kind of hurts, right about here. (I am pointing to my heart, for you visual learners)A peanut butter and jelly sandwich for Mr. Reagan.

...and Marshmallow Matey's for Elise

8 comments:

Ashlee said...

I would have eaten till I was sick. Sorry your kids didn't enjoy it. It truly is a cruel twist of fate that a baker/cooker would have children that didn't enjoy GOOD FOOD! :0)

Shannon said...

Go figure huh! Your dinner looked divine, wish I could have tried it. You are an awseome cook! Your kids will learn to appreciate it soon:)

Montay said...

Yummy had I have known I would have been running over to pick me up a to go bag...

P.S. Elise's Hair is so beautiful

Zach said...

Yumm! Looks good. Don't worry...I'm not picky! You can cook for me anytime!!

paulak said...

Gnocchi looks great. Fun for you! I agree...its a big joke on you that you, of all people, have picky eaters. But at least they are willing to come up with something on their own, and not just chocolate cake for their dinner.

Rachel Durazzani said...

Yay for you! Sorry your kids didn't love it. Maybe they need to have a sit down with their Italian cousin.

You truly are amazing...and so is Elise's hair!!!

PS: I want some cake.

Carrie said...

I love Elise's Hair. Is that pink rollers? Oh, the food looks great, too!

Becky said...

Someday they will totally appreciate you and you delicious food. My kids are getting to that point. Feels good. Too bad they missed out on a delish meal. If it makes you feel better...I would have picked your meal way before settling for PB&J!