Sunday, October 24, 2010

Running

While training for the Spirit of Twin Falls 1/2 marathon I was struggling with some pretty nasty leg pain. I have dealt with shin splints through much of my life and assumed that's what I was dealing with again. So, I went through the normal home-remedies; icing my legs until they burned, eating copious amounts of bananas, strengthening my calves, walking on my heels, massaging my shins, all of which have cured them in the past, but this time nothing was working. I self-diagnosed stress fractures, (I know should have gone in to a doctor, but I didn't want to).

I lived on Advil pretty much around the clock. I never ran without needing some ibuprofen relief. But, I was determined my training was not going to go without the final "celebration", the run. So... I rubbed some dirt on it, sucked it up and continued running, with the promise that when I was done, I would take time off to heal, which I did. 6 weeks of no running during the summer made me pretty crazy. After that I decided I would start, ease back in to it and get right back where I was.

No such luck. One morning, my running partners and I did 7 miles and I knew I was in trouble. My legs hurt just like they had during my earlier training. So, I decided to stop again. I walked, I did weights, I did Pilates, but I avoided running. Then I read a book. This book.

Rachel, my running inspiration and sister, suggested it and sent it to me on CD. I was hooked the first day listening and actually I think I may listen again. AMAZING!

Without giving away the book, basically the author makes the case that our bodies are made to run. So, I am now trying new things, I have changed my running form completely, I occasionally run bare foot and want to get my hands on some Vibram Five Fingers, but more than anything I have been re-inspired. It is slow in happening, but I can feel myself getting stronger and faster with every run I go on, and I love it.

2 comments:

Rachel Durazzani said...

Awesome post! So glad you loved the book and that you're thinking of going barefoot. I think I'll get some Vibrams this spring. Hurray! I want to listen to it again, too. So good!

Jacque said...

That is really interesting. There was a 5k here in Provo a little while ago that was a Barefoot race. It is very intriguing to me. I should read the book.