Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The end of our summer vacation

It's pretty sad when it's the end of October and I am finally getting around to posting the end of our trip to Michigan this summer. But I guess good things come to those who wait. So, here you go.

Henry Ford Museum
This is one of only 2 family pictures we took on this trip, sad that we didn't get more and sad that the girl taking it didn't get it in focus, aaagghh!

Carrie got us some tickets to the Rouge Factory tour, and when you are in Michigan cars are a big deal. So we jumped in the car and drove about an hour to Greenfield Village where the Henry Ford museum is and a number of other tourist activities. The Rouge Factory is about a 1o minute drive form there, so we got on the bus and rode over and then joined the tour; fascinating. It was amazing and as part of the tour we walked over the factory itself and go to watch them assemble the Ford F-150's. I would love to have been able to take all of my history classes on a field trip there. So cool.
Tyler, the kids and the infamous Henry Ford

This was inside the bus, it was a cool bus and they showed an historical film on the way that was very interesting.

Each of the kids picked their favorite vintage car and got to take a picture with it.
Reagan liked the 1949 Ford


Elise went for the 1956 Ford Thunderbird, sweet

And Mollie liked the class Ford V8


They also had some cool rubbings the kids got to try out. Sadly, this is the only area where we could take pictures, so there was a ton more on the tour, but they are pretty strict about photography.


On our way home we stopped at White Castle for some lunch, neither Tyler nor I have been there in years and it was fun to try it again.

Cook House
I figured I would include some pictures of our host's home, so here is Carrie's house, it is a beautiful home and in a gorgeous neighborhood. We had fun there enjoying family, frogs and fondue. Ok, not at the same time, but they were both pretty cool. The girls found some little frogs outside and were fascinated. One night Carrie treated us to fondue, a favorite in the Cook household and my kids were thrilled with the tradition.
So many trees, their back yard is a forest, very cool.

Here is the frog:
So cute!

Yahoo, chocolate fondue

3 comments:

Rachel Durazzani said...

I love your topper! Great post. Kind of makes you miss summer, doesn't it?!

Jacque said...

Too fun. I like the new layout of your blog. Your kids have great taste in cars!

Carol said...

Glad you were able to go this summer, what memories.