Last night for Family Home evening we decided to come up with gifts we could give to Jesus, since for a 3 and 5 year old their focus seems to be so much on getting. Well after 10 minutes of discussing what gifts would be appropriate to give to the Savior and what that meant,we figured it was time to write down what gift we would give put it in a box with a bow to put under our tree (when we actually get the tree). So I had made little cards, all cute and scrapbooky, gave one to each of the kids and Tyler and myself and then said ok what gift do you want to give. Reagan immediately, "I know what I want to give", Ok, what is it, Tyler was ready and waiting with his pen to write it down and Reagan said, I would like to give him Frankincense. What are you going to do with that?
Frankincense: The most important ancient fragrances were frankincense and myrrh. The Arabs used the milky sap of the frankincense tree, and called it al lubán, from the word for milk. (The same word gave rise to the name of Lebanon, whose mountains were always capped by milky snow). “Al lubán” became anglicized to olibanum, which is another name for frankincense; the latter name refers to the pre-eminence of this resin, the true or frank incense.Did you know if there had been a fourth wise man, he might have brought cinnamon as that too was a very important spice at this time period, interesting.
4 comments:
Interesting...good to know. And Reagan, well, he never ceases to amaze me.
Very interesting...I always get a bit of education visiting your blog. I love it.
Great idea for FHE! I learned about the wise men gifts last year because of a sharing time I taught last year. We learn new things every day don't we? ;0)
So what did Elise give?
Post a Comment