Monday, August 17, 2009

So many changes...

Does anyone else think it is time for me to post again? Warning: This post is long and more for journaling purposes, so I am not promising entertainment, read at your own risk. I have heard many times the statement, The only constant in life is change and I think that pretty much sums up the last 6 months of our lives. There have been so many changes, some have been anticipated, others were sprung upon us, and the rest have come about based on the previous 2 kinds.

Change #1, Ashtyn is born
The first major change in our lives is the arrival of Ashtyn Scarlett. She was born on August 6th, which happens to be our 10th Anniversary. That in itself is crazy, I can hardly believe we have been married for 10 years, the best years and I wouldn't trade them for anything, Tyler is my best friend, an amazing dad, and the best husband around. I am excited for what the next 10 years will bring.
Me and Ashtyn

Tyler and Ashtyn

Cute little, pudgy swollen baby

Ok, back to Ashtyn, her delivery was really good, I went in to the doctor on Tuesday, Aug. 4th for a check-up, and learned I was already dilated to a 5, I think the doctor was quite surprised, but that has been pretty much par for the course with me. I was not in labor, so I came home to continue the waiting game. Thursday morning contractions started at 9:00 and by 9:30 they were about 2-3 minutes apart, but not really very intense. Knowing I was already at a 5, I figured we might as well go in, so we did. We checked in at 10:30, I was at a 7-8 cm, but again, not very strong contractions, so the doc broke my water, I got an intrathecal, (a one time pain shot) and Ashtyn was born at 1:51 that afternoon. She weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces, our biggest baby. She was 20.5 inches long and came out with a vengeance. Much like Elise, Ashtyn came out with a whole lot to say, she cried and cried for quite some time. I loved it. It means she's healthy, right? I felt really good after delivery and we were very excited to add daughter #3 to the family.
Ya, this bed was a little crowded this time.
All of the kids were thrilled to come and meet her, and despite my concerns about Reagan not getting a brother, he has absolutely fallen in love with her and couldn't be cuter with her.
Reagan and Ashtyn
Ironically, she was our biggest baby, but when we took her in at 4 days old for a routine check, she had dropped almost a pound, that was a little scary, but she is back up and doing great.

Her name is not a family name, we just really like the name Ashtyn and her middle name comes from my favorite book, Gone with the Wind.
She is still so curled up, it makes me laugh, she tucks those legs in as tight as she can.

What are you staring at Ashtyn?

Elise thought this was pretty cool the way she laced her fingers together.

Here she is with her eyes open again. Look how little she looks in my hand.

OK, change #2. Tyler is back in school.
Tyler was accepted into the CSI Surgery Tech program and begins on Monday. He will finish that up next summer and then we have about 2 or so years of getting some pre-requisites done, and then he will apply for PA school (Physician's Assistant), which is a 2 year Master's program. We are not completely sure where, but ISU is the most likely locale. I have had a lot of people give me sympathy on this, but truth be told, I am thrilled. Tyler's BS degree is in Human Resource, which has been great, but at this point, and with the economy where it has been, he felt like he needed a more specific degree. He took 15 credits this summer, and did awesome in them, and really enjoyed the introduction he got into the medical field. Best part of all, he is really excited for this career change. I am so proud of him and excited for what the next few years will bring.
Elise, Reagan, Ashtyn and Mollie, I love my kids!

Change #3, We are moving.

As mentioned above, Tyler is going back to school, full time. I am still working for IDLA, but this requires a little adjustment in our living arrangements. So, we are moving into my parents' basement. They have a basement apartment, that is awesome, and we will actually have more space there than we have been living in for the last 4 years here at our house, so I am really excited. My mom and I are best friends and so living there is really easy and fun. If all goes as planned, (knock on wood) we will be there about a year and then we will find a place to rent until after PA school.


Change #4 Elise goes to Kindergarten
My Elise

This one is a tough one, and just like Reagan, every time I think about it, I get very sad. Elise has been my helper and sidekick for the last few years and I am so sad to not have her around all day. She makes me laugh, she helps me with cooking and cleaning, and best of all, she is a great big sister. She is excited, but I can tell a little nervous. Reagan has been the best help of all to her, getting her really excited and talking it up. He loves school and will be a 2nd grader this year. They start on Monday and I miss them already.
Mollie Girl, I just had to throw this picture in.
So, there you have it in a nutshell, big changes, so forgive me, for having not been blogging, my mind has been mush for a while.

10 comments:

paulak said...

Well, since I already knew all that....do I have to comment? Kidding, I am so excited for all your new changes. Especially since I get to be so close to my new little niece. She is too cute. I am thrilled about Tyler, finally someone else will understand the medical jargan I talk about and people will know that I am smart and not just making things up....hahahaha. Teasing, I am really glad that your move is not taking you out of Twin...I JUST GOT HERE. Great post, love you sis.

Jacque said...

Yay for the new post. So many great changes in your life! And that Ashtyn is GORGEOUS! Just like your other kids. Good luck with everything and I am so happy for all the exciting things to come!

Carrie said...

Love it all! Thanks for the post!

Rachel Durazzani said...

Great post. Such a crazy time, huh? LOVE all the pictures. That last one of Mollie is to die for. And little Ashtyn looks totally different to me now. I can't wait to meet her next week!!!!
PS: I got teary-eyed when I read about Elise starting school. I can't believe it.

julie said...

Wow - what a lot of stuff for one summer! Life's going full speed ahead for you guys. Ashtyn is so cute! I can't wait to hold her. And I'm excited for Tyler and his program - that sounds awesome. I'm glad you can move in with your parents; I'm sure your kids are probably ecstactic about that! But I can't believe you'll have TWO kids in school. Congratulations on all that is happening. We love you and miss you.

Amy said...

Hooray! I've been waiting for this post! I'm glad your labor experience was positive and excited to hear about all the new adventures you will have in the near future!

JoLynn said...

Congrats! Little Ashtyn is beautiful! My mom said she misses having you guys in the ward. Your family is so cute!

Shannon said...

Wow, you have been through a lot of changes! How exciting though. Your pictures are darling and I am so excited about everything that is going on with you and your fam. Good luck to Tyler, he will do awesome. Also good luck to everyone in all they do!

Joy said...

You have been busy! Congrats on the new cute little one, and good luck in the upcoming adventures.

Becky said...

Hey...7 lbs.5 oz. is your BIGGEST? Try 11 lbs.12 oz. SHEESH! Congrats my dear. Your baby is beautiful and I'm excited for your new adventure in life. That's great that you can be with your parents for awhile. I know how close you are with her, it will be fun! Good luck.